Visualize it, then do it

by - Friday, March 10, 2017

My children have 2 very different personalities. When it's time for our homeschool, my daughter is all like "just give me the workbook, I'll finish it all in one day. I don't want you to tell me what plans you have for us today, and I don't want you to explain anything". She likes to be spontaneous and independent. So I let her do as much as she want, and only help her out if she asks for it. She's only 4 after all. Let's keep it fun.



My 6-year old son is entirely the opposite, ever since he was 2. He wants my attention and praises all the time, and he wants everything in a schedule, fully explained to him beforehand, as you can see in the above picture.

He reminded me of a salesman in a company I used to work for. I was having trouble dealing with angry or impatient customers. I was good at my job, but I was shy and lacked social skills. And I was alone in repairing laptops, they were coming in like 30-50 a day, by the hundreds during the holidays. I had to increase the paperwork just to make sure mistakes were not being made. But delays were made, that's for sure.

So when this salesman saw I was scared in telling the customer that his motherboard will be delayed in arriving due to holidays, or that I haven't replaced the DVD-ROM drive on her laptop yet due to too many other laptops coming for repairs before hers, he told me: "don't be scared, this is something that has to be done. Visualize on your mind that you are doing it, visualize how you will do it, and then just do it".

It is an amazing advice. Visualizing and planning your goals will help in achieving them. That's what my son wants now. He needs to visualize how his day will be, otherwise he will have a meltdown. By using PECS and the clock, I am showing him his schedule and when he understands it, our day goes smoothly. Even on weekends when we are being spontaneous, I explain to him while he's getting dressed "right now we will go to the park, and you will get to play, and then a while later we will go and get something to eat and then we will go and shop for a new pair of shoes for you."

Some kids will throw less fits if you explain to them beforehand what will happen, especially those with special needs. They want to feel safe in their world. They get scared when they don't know what is happening.

Get the PECS images from Amazon here.

You May Also Like

0 comments