Weekly Lesson Plan for Preschool

by - Friday, February 24, 2017

Since I have changed curriculum by selecting books and workbooks by myself instead of a structured boxed curriculum, that means there's no Instructor's Guide, which means no lesson plan. I had to make my own. Here's how.

In Preschool, you don't need structured curriculum, and you don't need a strict schedule. You can keep it as loose and relaxed as you want. But it really helps if you have a routine. When you make your lesson plans, you don't have to follow it to the letter. They are there as guidelines on what to do next.

I set up a weekly lesson plan, with a ready template from Excel. When you open Excel, search for "academic weekly lesson plan" on online templates. Now all you have to do is type in your routine or timetable for each child (the routine can vary greatly as families, children and curriculums used are different).

This is how I planned my week:

  • All 5 days of the week will start with Read-Alouds. My kids won't sit still easily. After they have pencils in hand they will just write on anything. So I hide all the pencils, workbooks, activities for later. The only thing accessible to them as soon as we start homeschooling, is the books that I will be reading to them. Only after I have finished reading, then I hide the literature books, and we start doing our activities on pencil.
  • After the literature read-aloud, I read them some Science. We are currently using The Berenstain Bears' Big Book of Science and Nature, and for preschool, it suits us perfectly. You can get the book delivered to you with free shipping here. Science is 4 days a week, from Monday to Thursday.
  • Then we move on to Learn to Read books and handwriting. Reading is 5 times a week, and handwriting and Math are 4 times a week from Monday to Thursday.
  • Then we do a few pages of Big Workbook Preschool workbook. This workbook is over 300 pages and has all kinds of activities and concepts. It is plain awesome! You can check more details here. It is also 5 days a week.
  • The last homeschool activity is wipe-clean activity workbooks. I give them the desired color marker they want, and at least one book, and I just let them write as much as they want here. It's totally loose, I don't tell them which pages to do or what. I just let them practice their handwriting and drawing skills. Check my previous article for more details here. 
  • Now, why some subjects are 4 days a week instead of 5? Because on Fridays, I'm adding Music and Art subjects. I also let my Fridays a little loose, so I can plan the next week on that day. That way we have our weekends totally free, and come on Monday, I'm all set to homeschool.

All the books stated in this picture have been bought from here.

You May Also Like

0 comments